July 5, 2022
A hands-on science and conservation journey on the Great Barrier Reef.
14 Nights | Cairns to Cairns | Departure October 23, 2023 | From $11,550 per person in twin sharing
In partnership with Australian Geographic, embark on an immersive scientific expedition on board coral discoverer explore the outer reefs and unique marine ecosystems of the Coral Sea and Great Barrier Reef. Travel with a community of conservation-minded explorers and on board special guest speaker Adam Smith of Reef Ecologic, who will share his vast scientific and ecological knowledge along the way. Visit the atolls and reefs of the Great Barrier Reef normally out of reach while contributing to conservation programs including species studies, turtle rehabilitation and coral science.
Special guest speaker: Adam Smith of Reef Ecologic
With 30 years of experience as a marine scientist, marine park manager and environmental consultant, Adam is an Enhanced Reef Expert and Acting Director of Reef Ecologic Pty Ltd. The organization is at the forefront of coral reef science, management and policy to provide insight, strategic action and build a sustainable future having implemented major projects in coral reef regions around the world , especially the Great Barrier Reef. Adam will share his wealth of knowledge about the Great Barrier Reef as we venture into the farthest reaches of this extraordinary marine sanctuary.
- Explore the wild rivers of Cape York to discover the important symbiotic relationship between reef, mangrove and swamp environments
- Venture to remote cays, islands and reefs on the outer edges of the Great Barrier Reef in a rare opportunity to participate in science and conservation efforts to monitor and research the unique biodiversity
- Be led by expert host Adam Smith who will share his scientific and conservation knowledge of the reef and its many species
Copy of travel itinerary
- Explore vibrant underwater ecosystems and get up close to colorful corals, invertebrates and reef sharks at the spectacular reefs of Osprey, Bligh, Tijou Reef and Ribbon Reefs 3, 5 and 9
- Discover Mackay Reef, where hard and soft corals abound among giant clams and turtles, with rainforest views visible from the mainland beach
- At Lizard Island, hike to the top of Cook’s Look to be rewarded with spectacular views
- Encounter abundant birdlife at Davie Cay, Magra Islet, Tydeman Cay, and Forbes Island
- At the ‘tip’ of Cape York, learn about Aboriginal and European history and take in views of the emerald sea and surrounding islands while sipping sparkling wine as the sun dips below the horizon